Friday, February 3, 2012

Vanilla Extract

As a solstice gift for the last couple of years, Ryan has bought me books he heard about on NPR (I love that he uses NPR as a shopping guide).   Last year (2011), the book was Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.  Two things: (1) I want to be friends with the author, because she is awesome; (2) this book has been an inspiration.  It's the reason we made bagels last weekend, and unfortunately, also the reason we ate 10 bagels in less than 36 hours and had to make another batch. And it's why I bought a quarter pound of Madagascar Vanilla Beans from Amazon.

Which brings me to today's project: I made two batches of vanilla extract.  The recipe (from the book, and from various online sources) is simple: 9 vanilla beans, and 12 oz alcohol.  I made one jar with vodka, and the other with gold rum, and in about three months I'll compare them and see how they taste.  

When I was searching recipes online (to compare to the book, because it sounded too easy, and I am neurotic and was afraid some integral step was missing), I saw all kinds of pretty jars that other people were using, and I started to think that perhaps my recycled salsa jars weren't sufficient.  I even briefly considered going to the store and buying prettier jars.  And then I felt like kicking myself, because if our whole philosophy is really combining environmental concerns with frugality (and it is!), then I don't need to go purchase new jars just to make my vanilla extract - that nobody will see - look nicer in the cupboard.  If I ever decide to make some as gifts, I'm sure I can find nice jars at a thrift shop, which I can then decorate with repurposed ribbon. 

Meanwhile, here's my super-fancy classy looking vanilla extract:



Other current projects: We hope to finish the play kitchen this weekend, and I am crocheting an owl family to give to a two-year-old at her birthday party Sunday.  If I have time, they will come in a nest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment