Saturday, January 28, 2012

Living room pillows

     Good news - we actually completed one of the items from our list.  I finished sewing the two new living room pillows the other night.  Yes, that's right, a project was fully completed.  Usually, we get 90-95% of something done, then move on to something else.  

    Here's why we needed new pillows: we bought a new chair, and it changed the entire living room.  Our living room furniture previously consisted of a tan couch and a kind of drab olive green chaise lounge chair.  The chaise was super comfortable, and both looked great when we lived in a townhouse with dark wood floors.  But then we moved to this house, with its whitish tile throughout, and we painted the living room light blue and pink with burgundy accents.  The couch was still fine, because the color was neutral, but the chaise no longer looked as good.  Plus, it wasn't used as much.  For awhile when the baby was a newborn and refused to sleep except on top of someone, she and I spent nights in the chaise.  When I was studying for the bar exam, my barbri books and I spent a lot of time there as well.  But then it fell into disuse.  The baby liked to go behind it to poop (she does like her privacy), and Ryan would keep his jacket and work bag (man-purse) on it, but that was it.  And we gradually realized we should replace it with something that took up less space (because that thing was big!) and we kind of wanted a rocking chair, so we sold the chaise (hurrah for Craigslist!) and purchased a replacement.  The chair we bought was on sale, but we were limited in our color choices, so now we have a dark blue rocking chair. This led to our having to change the curtains (more on that later - they are 95% complete, and may stay that way for awhile), and then we needed something else to tie the room together.  Also, we included our old pillows in the chaise sale.

    So we took a trip to Jo-Anns (note: always look online for a coupon) and purchased four different fabrics and two pillow forms.  I like to try to buy fabric at Casa de los Ninos (best thrift store ever), but they didn't have anything I liked.  So Ryan picked out two fabrics, I picked out two fabrics, and we now have two awesome reversible pillows:


(the top two are the 'front' sides and the bottom are the 'backs', not that it matters)

  I won't describe how I made them, since it is super easy, and I just followed the directions in Sew Everything Workshop, which is the book I bought when I decided I was going to learn how to sew.  I still can barely do a straight line, but more because of my impatience rather than a lack of proper instruction.

1 comment:

  1. I likes it. And you have every right to be proud of your 'simple' project. It maketh you happy, hence it is worthwhile. See exhibit 1 - my curtains made of burlap and 'camp counselor' pants :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneetchie/6533861385

    ReplyDelete